SANAA, Yemen, Oct 20 (NNN-SABA) – At least seven fighters from the Shiite Houthi rebels and five from the government were killed, in fierce clashes in Yemen’s north-eastern province of Jawf, a military source, said.
The clashes, which began early Thursday morning and lasted until night, took place in Hazmat Alhalah area, west of Masloub district.
Masloub is one of the Houthis’ strongholds in the province, while Hazmat Alhalah was recaptured by the Yemeni government troops, last month.
The clashes erupted when Houthi rebels tried to advance to regain Hazmat Alhalah.
Government troops, backed by war planes from a Saudi-led military coalition, repelled the rebel attack and injured dozens, the source said. He said, about ten government soldiers were also wounded in the clashes.
Jawf, about 170 km north-east of the capital Sanaa, has been the scene of almost daily fighting, between the Yemeni rival forces, in which the government troops have been trying to recapture the whole province, before their advance toward the capital, Sanaa, which has been under the control of the Houthi rebels, since 2014.
The rebels tightened their grip over all state ministries and military camps, and forced President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and his government into exile, in neighbouring Saudi Arabia.
In Mar, 2015, the Saudi-led coalition intervened in the Yemeni conflict, to roll back rebel gains and reinstate the internationally recognised government of President Hadi into the capital.
More than 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in the two-and-half years of war, with over three million others displaced, according to UN agencies.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK