The Arab League, on Wednesday, urged a political solution to the Yemeni crisis and welcomed a U.S.-brokered truce between Yemen's Shiite Houthi group and the Saudi-led Arab military coalition, said a senior official with the pan-Arab body.
"The Arab League welcomes the announcement of a cease-fire in Yemen, and the work on pushing dialogue between Yemeni parties, to reach a political solution to the ongoing crisis, in order to preserve Yemen, as well as, the people, land and entity," its Deputy Secretary-General, Ahmed Ben Helli, told reporters in Cairo.
He added that the Arab League is in contact with the United Nations special envoy for Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, and the legitimate Yemeni government, in a bid to reach a political settlement in the war-torn country.
On Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, during his recent Gulf tour, said that, the Houthi group and the Saudi-led coalition had agreed to a ceasefire starting Thursday (today).
However, Yemeni Foreign Minister, Abdel-Malek al-Mekhlafi, said that, Kerry's announcement was not coordinated with the Yemeni government that was "not interested" in Kerry's plan, describing the U.S. bid as "a media bubble."
The Arab military coalition has been launching deadly air strikes against Houthi targets in Yemen, but a lot of civilians have been "wrongly targeted" during the operations.
The civil war, ground battles and air strikes have so far killed over 10,000 people, half of them civilians, injured over 35,000 others and displaced over two million, according to humanitarian agencies.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK.