SANAA, Yemen, The death toll from cholera outbreak, in war-ravaged Yemen has increased to 1,759 since end of Apr, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said, on its official twitter account.
The suspected cases have increased to more than 332,600, as the epidemic has hit 21 out of the 23 provinces in the country, WHO said.
The death toll has increased by 53 and suspected cases by nearly 35,162, in just five days, after a July 9 report by WHO, where it put the death toll at 1,706 and suspected cases at 297,438.
Since Apr 27, the cholera cases in Yemen have been "increasing at an average of 5,000 a day," said WHO, in its report last week . "We are now facing the worst cholera outbreak in the world."
On Tuesday, the UN humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, Jamie McGoldrick said in a press conference that, cholera is "entirely man-made as a result of the conflict."
He noted that the UN's response failed to keep pace with the cholera spread, mainly because it "did not have enough resources to expand their operations into areas, where health workers were working without pay."
"Unless the international community contributes 200 million U.S. dollars, to address the cholera outbreak in Yemen, the UN aid agencies will be forced to reprogramme more resources tagged for malnutrition in the country," McGoldrick said.
Meanwhile, WHO said it's considering shelving the shipment of cholera vaccines to Yemen.
"A vaccination, way ahead of an outbreak would be useful, but that would imply a huge amount of vaccines, taking into account all the countries where cholera was endemic," WHO Spokesman, Christian Lindmeier, said.
Fewer than 45 percent of the country's hospitals are operational, but even the operational ones are coping with huge challenges, especially the lack of medications, medical equipment and staff.
The blockade on Yemen, as part of a Saudi-led bombing campaign, launched in Mar, 2015, has deepened the crisis in the country, which used to import most of its basic needs.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK