FIGHTING IN YEMEN KILLS OVER 3,700 CIVILIANS SINCE MAR OF LAST YEAR: U.N.

Ground battles and air strikes in Yemen, have killed 3,704 civilians and injured 6,566, since Mar of 2015, when Saudi Arabia led a military coalition against the Houthis and Saleh's forces, a UN official said.

Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, told a press briefing here on Friday that, the number of civilian casualties in Yemen has been steadily mounting over the past few weeks.

"Despite the cessation of hostilities, between Apr 11 and Aug 11 of this year, we have documented 815 civilian casualties, including 272 deaths and 543 injured," she said, adding that, of these, 49 civilians were killed and another 77 injured in just the past week.

She told reporters that, only several days ago, on Aug 9, an air strike hit Al Khafifa food factory, in the Al Nahdhah district of Sana'a, killing 10 civilians, including three women, who worked in the factory.

According to her, a journalist was reportedly struck by two shells on Aug 5.

Source: Nam News Network