SANAA, Yemen, At least four people were killed and dozens wounded, in clashes between Yemeni government forces and Houthi rebels, in the southern districts of the port city of Hodeidah, during the last 24 hours, security sources said.
The clashes began on Friday afternoon, and have been continuing in the districts of Hais and Tahita. Security officials and residents said, the fighting is spreading towards other residential neighbourhoods near the southern and eastern areas of Hodeidah airport.
Two paramedics were killed in the rebel shelling on Friday, near the village of Bait Maghazi in Hais, while they were trying to move injured residents, including children, to a hospital, a security official said.
Two other residents were killed Saturday morning, in the shelling against rebel-held Swaiq area of Tahita, another security official said.
The Iran-allied Houthi rebels control much of the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, while the Saudi-backed government troops have advanced to the south-eastern districts.
Yemeni warring parties reached a UN-sponsored cease-fire deal on Hodeidah in Dec last year, as the first step towards a comprehensive political solution to end the civil war.
However, both warring parties have failed to pull their forces from the port city, putting the deal in jeopardy and threatening a major battle that could lead to famine.
Source: NAM News Network