ADEN, Yemen- At least four people were killed and five others injured, in a landmine blast in Yemen's south-eastern province of Shabwa, on Tuesday, police and medical sources, said.
According to a police officer, based in Shabwa, the landmine, which was planted by the Shiite Houthi militants in Osylan, went off in the area, killing four people and injuring five others.
"I can confirm four people died and five others were injured. The Houthis, who occupied Osylan previously, planted hundreds of landmines. A civilian vehicle ran over one today," the police source said, anonymously.
Witnesses said, a government vehicle rushed to the site and the injured were transferred to a nearby hospital.
"The blast happens seconds after a car passed in the area, that is not cleared yet of landmines," a resident said.
Local humanitarian organisations estimate that thousands of civilians have been injured or killed by the explosives and landmines, laid by Houthis in the ongoing conflict.
Some of the mines, planted in mountainous areas and disguised as rocks and concealed in sandy dunes, to target and stop the progress of government forces, backed by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition.
Saudi Arabia leads an Arab military coalition that intervened in Yemen in 2015, to support the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, after Houthi rebels forced him into exile.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK