GENEVA, Switzerland, The UN migrant agency, IOM, on Tuesday, said that, during the past three days, its staff continued to find more survivors, as well as, the remains of more victims from last week's tragic incidents.
A total of 280 migrants, headed towards the Gulf countries, were forced out, by smugglers, from two boats, off the coast of Yemen's Shabwa Governorate, on Aug 9 and 10, in two incidents.
IOM reported on Tuesday that, of the 280 people, forced into Yemen's rough seas, 226 people survived, 42 are confirmed dead, and 12 are still missing.
"The total number of presumed dead is currently 54," an IOM spokesperson told a press briefing, here, on Tuesday.
According to IOM, the survivors left IOM's care and are most likely making their way to Yemen's borders, with the Gulf countries, a journey which takes a week or more, depending on the route.
The agency said, it will continue to patrol Yemen's beaches, to provide assistance to migrants in distress, and to search for the migrants still missing.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK