A total of 180 people have died and a further 268 were injured, in Aug, after UN-mediated peace talks were put on hold last month, the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), said, Friday.

"This represents a 40 percent increase, compared to the civilian casualties the previous month, with 60 killed and 123 injured," OHCHR spokesperson, Cecile Pouilly, reported.

"There has been an increased number of attacks against protected civilian objects, with at least 41 incidents affecting educational and health facilities, markets, places of worship, airports and civilian homes in Aug," she added.

The statement follows a deadly air strike on a residential area, in the town of Hudaydah, on Sept 21, which resulted in the deaths of 26 civilians and a further 24 sustaining injuries.

"The death toll could be much higher, as our team continues to collect information," said Pouilly.

Yemen has been locked in a civil war since the Houthis seized power and overturned the Yemeni government, in late, 2014.

In March 2015, the Saudi-led coalition launched a bombing campaign, to restore the legitimacy of the government. However, the military intervention has deepened the conflict and crises across the country.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK

Related Post

About Us

The website publishes the news, which is gathered from all the sectors of the country with keeping an eye on different sorts of news from all over the world. All kinds of news on our news website do not consist of any sort of content that can be called the prejudice one, that strategy keeps us away from adding up any useless extra content in the news.