The resumption of a cessation of hostilities agreement will be critical to renewed talks aimed at ending the conflict in Yemen, the UN Security Council heard on Wednesday.
UN Envoy Ismail Ould Cheik Ahmed briefed Council members on developments following the suspension of negotiations in Kuwait earlier this month.
Since then, he said an escalation in fighting between Government forces and Houthi rebels has worsened the humanitarian situation in Yemen, where 13 million people require aid.
Dianne Penn has more.
The UN Envoy said the military escalation will continue to provide more opportunities for terrorist groups to spread in Yemen.
A suicide attack earlier this week killed dozens of military recruits in the southern city of Aden.
Ismail Ould Cheik Ahmed stated that as consultations continue, his priority will be to get all parties to re-commit to the ceasefire.
He spoke through an interpreter:
"The recommitment to the cessation of hostilities will spare Yemen further losses of life, allow the increased flow of humanitarian assistance and generate much needed confidence for the negotiation of a comprehensive and peaceful solution. Only a negotiated political solution can put an end to the devastation and injustice brought about by this horrific war."
The ceasefire agreement preceded the start of the peace talks, which began in April in Kuwait.
Although the talks did not end with an agreement, the UN envoy said they did yield "important results" such as a roadmap for the way ahead.
Dianne Penn, United Nations.
Source: United Nations Radio.