At least 27 civilians, mostly children and women, were killed on Saturday, in three Yemeni provinces, by air strikes from a military coalition led by Saudi Arabia, officials and residents said.

Early Saturday morning, the Saudi-led air strikes hit residents' homes in two villages of al-Sharaf and Mabaran in al-Salo district, of the south-western province of Taiz, killing 10 villagers on the spot and flattering several mud-brick houses to the ground, according to local officials and the residents.

The death tool later the day rose rapidly up to 17, mostly children and women, and seven others were fatally injured, said the officials and residents.

"The hospital receiving the injured lacked medicine and necessary equipment, so the death toll is more likely to increase in the next hours," a local official said.

In the far north province of Saada, officials and residents witnessed an air strike targeting a car driving on a public road in Bani al-Sayyah area of Razih district on Saturday, killing a family of five members, including their infant.

Witnesses said, the family was trying to flee the heavy air raids on the province, which is the stronghold of dominant Shiite Houthi movement.

In the central province of Marib, another family of five were all killed, when the Saudi-led air strike targeted their car in Habbab valley, in the east of the province on Saturday afternoon, local officials, residents and witnesses said.

The family was escaping the intensified air strikes on the villages and farms of Marib.

Local officials and residents also reported dozens of other air attacks on several regions across northern Yemeni provinces, most of the strikes burned farms and destroyed villagers' houses.

Dozens of cows and livestock of the villagers were also killed in the Saturday air strikes, according to local authorities' reports to the agriculture ministry, a ministry official said.

Saturday's air strikes against civilians were the latest in a series of raids carried out by the U.S.-backed Saudi-led coalition.

Earlier this month, the air strikes hit a funeral hall in the capital Sanaa, killing 140 mourners, including children, and wounded over 600 others.

Saudi coalition spokesman, General Ahmed Asiri said, the strikes were based on wrong information, apologising to the families' victims.

Saudi Arabia intervened in the Yemen conflict in Mar last year, to restore its ally, President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi and his government to power, after Houthis and forces loyal to former President, Ali Abdullah Saleh, fought a revolution against "Hadi government's corruption" and drove Hadi with his cabinet to flee into exile.

The Saudi-led coalition has, ever since, failed to restore Hadi or recapture the northern provinces from the allied Houthi and Saleh forces, which also control the capital, Sanaa.

The Saudi-led air strikes and ground combat have killed over 10,000 Yemenis, mostly children and women, and forced more than two million to flee their homes.

The latest round of peace efforts by the United Nations, appeared to fail to end the 19-month long war in Yemen, after apparently both rival, Houthis and their foe Hadi, rejected latest UN peace plan, presented by UN Yemen envoy, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, last week.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK.

Related Post

About Us

The website publishes the news, which is gathered from all the sectors of the country with keeping an eye on different sorts of news from all over the world. All kinds of news on our news website do not consist of any sort of content that can be called the prejudice one, that strategy keeps us away from adding up any useless extra content in the news.