September 27, 2021

U.S. DRONE ATTACK KILLS THREE SUSPECTED AL-QAEDA MILITANTS IN YEMEN

About three suspected al-Qaeda militants were killed, when a U.S. drone strike bombed three cars in Yemen’s south-eastern province of Shabwa on Sunday night, a military official told Xinhua.

“A four-wheel drive vehicle was struck by missiles, fired from a U.S. drone in the tribal area of Haban, in Shabwa province, killing three al-Qaeda militants at the scene,” the Yemeni military source said, on condition of anonymity.

The military official said that all the three dead militants were known for their links to the latest terror attacks that struck southern Yemeni provinces.

Residents told Xinhua that, the vehicle was completely destroyed and no one escaped from the American attack.

On Saturday, a U.S. drone attack killed two members of the al-Qaeda group in their vehicle, in Marib province, east of the Yemeni capital, Sanaa.

The Yemen-based al-Qaeda offshoot, also known as Ansar al-Sharia, emerged in Jan, 2009. It had claimed responsibility for a number of attacks on Yemen’s army and government institutions.

It took advantage of the current security vacuum and the ongoing civil war to expand its influence in Yemen’s southern regions.

The fragile security situation in Yemen has deteriorated since Mar, 2015, when a war broke out between the Shiite Houthi group, supported by former President, Ali Abdullash Saleh, and the government, backed by a Saudi-led coalition.

More than 6,000 people have been killed in ground battles and air strikes since then, half of them civilians.

 

Source: Nam News Network