The United Nations on Tuesday dramatically raised its estimate of the number of people killed in Yemen during the past 18 months to 10,000 as the ongoing fighting continues to put millions of Yemenis in need of humanitarian aid.
U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator Jamie McGoldrick told reporters the figure could be even higher.
Before Tuesday, U.N. officials had been saying at least 6,000 people had died in the conflict involving Iran-backed Houthi rebels and the government of President Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi.
In addition to the civil war, which also includes an air campaign led by Saudi Arabia in support of the government, Yemen has also been dealing with attacks by militants, including a bombing Monday in the southern port city of Aden.
Authorities say at least 54 recruits at a pro-government army center were killed in the attack by a suspected Islamic State suicide bomber. The French news agency, AFP, quoting local medical sources, put the toll at 71 dead.
Witnesses said the bomber entered a gated training compound behind a truck that was carrying breakfast to the recruits.
A short while after the blast, Islamic State issued a statement broadcast by its Amaq news agency that claimed responsibility.
Source: Voice of America