The Director-General of UNESCO, Irina Bokova, has deplored the killing of two journalists in Peru and Yemen last week.
Radio presenter Hernan Choquepata OrdoAez was murdered in Camana, Peru, on Nov 20 while photojournalist Awab Al-Zubair was killed in a landmine explosion in the southern city of Taiz on Nov 18.
"I condemn the murder of Hernan Choquepata OrdoAez and killing of Awab Al-Zubairi," said the Director-General.
"Society needs the media to inform public debate and decision-making. I urge the authorities to ensure that those responsible for the killing of Hernan Choquepata OrdoAez are brought to trial," she said.
Choquepata, a presenter for local radio broadcaster La RibereAa in Camana, in southern Peru, was attacked while presenting a programme and died of his injuries on the way to hospital.
Bokova urged measures to improve the safety of journalists in Yemen following the killing of Awab Al-Zubairi on Nov 18.
"I condemn the killing of Awab Al-Zubairi," the Director-General said. "The work and commitment of media workers in providing information to the public is particularly vital in times of conflict and instability.
" In keeping with the Geneva Conventions, it is the duty of all parties to recognize and respect the civilian status of media workers and ensure their safety in all circumstances, including in times of conflict," Bokova added.
Awab Al-Zubairi, a photographer forTaiz News Network, was fatally injured by a landmine explosion in the southern city of Taiz.
The Director-General of UNESCO issues statements on the killing of media workers in line with Resolution 29 adopted by UNESCO Member States at the Organization's General Conference of 1997, entitled "Condemnation of Violence against Journalists." These statements are posted on a dedicated webpage, UNESCO condemns the killing of journalists.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK