The U.N. children's agency says it has resumed emergency cash transfers to 9 million Yemenis after it was allowed to operate a call center to help monitor aid distribution.
UNICEF spokeswoman Juliette Touma says the cash transfer program resumed Sunday, providing vital aid to some of the most impoverished people in the war-ravaged country.
Last week, The Associated Press reported that the aid was suspended after Houthi rebels � who control northern Yemen � pressured UNICEF to close the call center.
The Iran-aligned Houthis have been at war with a Saudi-led coalition since March 2015. The rebels have repeatedly been accused of diverting aid to their supporters.
The cash injection comes at a critical time for many Yemenis facing price hikes after the recent freefall of the local currency.
Source: Voice of America