U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, declared that, the Saudi-led Arab coalition and Yemen's Shiite Houthi rebels, have tentatively agreed to a cessation of hostilities in Yemen, commencing Nov 17 (tomorrow).
Kerry said that, the Yemeni warring sides agreed to form a consensus government, that will be announced before the end of this year.
Kerry announced his statement, while speaking to reporters in Abu Dhabi, after conducting recent U.S.-brokered talks between representatives from the Shiite Houthis and the Saudi-led Arab coalition, in Oman's capital Muscat.
However, Yemen's Foreign Minister, Abdul-Malik Mekhlafi, refused the comments made by the U.S. Secretary of State, saying, "Yemen's government doesn't know anything about Kerry's plan about a ceasefire."
The Yemeni Minister said, "Kerry's reports are just attempts to reach an agreement with the Houthis, with no participation from the legitimate government side."
He added, "Kerry's statement doesn't concern Yemen's government, anyway, as we aren't aware of it and any unilateral agreement will definitely fail."
Another government source said, "The current U.S. administration is trying hard to make achievements, before the end of its term, by forming baseless agreements that only foil peace efforts in Yemen."
Earlier this month, Yemen's internationally recognised President, Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, announced his rejection of a plan submitted by the UN envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh, saying that, its contents "bare seeds of war in the country."
The UN road map called for naming a new vice president, after the withdrawal of the Shiite Houthi rebels from the capital Sanaa and other northern provinces, and handing over all heavy weapons to a third party.
The UN plan also suggested forming a new government, that will be formed from the two-warring sides and would not be led by President Hadi, who would transfer his power to the new vice president.
The situation in Yemen has deteriorated economically and politically, since Mar, 2015, when war broke out between the Shiite Houthi group, supported by former President, Ali Abdullash Saleh, and the government, backed by a Saudi-led Arab coalition.
Houthis and Saleh's forces hold most of Yemen's northern regions, while the government forces, backed by Saudi-led military coalition, share control of the rest of the country, including seven southern provinces.
The civil war, ground battles and air strikes, have already killed more than 10,000 people, half of them civilians, injured more than 35,000 others and displaced over two million, according to humanitarian agencies.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK.