YEMENI ARMY COMMANDER KILLED IN BATTLES NEAR BAB AL-MANDAB STRAIT

A pro-Yemeni government senior commander was killed, during fierce battles against dominant Shiite Houthi rebels, near the country's Red Sea straits of Bab al-Mandab, a government source said on Saturday.

"Brigadier Omar al-Subaihi, the commander of the 3rd Brigade was killed, along with tens of loyalist soldiers, during the ferocious fighting against Houthi rebels, over the past 24 hours," the official source said.

The fighting began on Thursday, after the government army sent military reinforcements to the 3rd Brigade, with air force cover from the government-backed Saudi-led military coalition, in an attempt to seize control over the eastern parts of the Red Sea city of Dhubab, and break the siege on western part of Taiz province, according to the source.

Pro-government media reported that 11 to 17 rebels had been killed in action.

In Oct, 2016, the western part of Dhubab, was recaptured by government troops, but Houthi rebels still control the eastern part of the city, including the main entrances to the besieged Taiz province.

Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK